Looking for an easy, healthy, and delicious side dish? Then, learn how to steam carrots in the microwave!
It’s a real time-saver.
You might think microwaving could lead to dry, tough carrots. But I assure you, that is not the case- far from it.
You’ll be surprised at how tender and moist they are, just like traditionally steamed ones.
Now, isn’t that a neat trick to have up your sleeve?
Once you try microwave-steamed carrots, you’ll say goodbye to the traditional cooking approach forever.
Here’s how to steam carrots in the microwave!
On the lookout for speedy ways to cook veggies? These microwave carrots are your answer.
Steaming vegetables in the microwave is highly efficient. It also doesn’t call for pots or pans, making clean-up a breeze.
Plus, microwaved steamed carrots are customizable. You are free to season your carrots according to your taste buds!
Try them with melted butter, honey, fresh thyme, and a pinch of salt.
If that combination doesn’t suit your palate, fear not! I also have a list of variations in this blog post for you.
And if you’re a parent to a little one, this method is an absolute lifesaver!
- Carrots: You’ll need about four fresh, firm, medium-sized carrots. You can steam more if you like; it won’t significantly affect the cooking time. Use either:
- Regular Carrots: Easy-to-find and budget-friendly, especially if you’re growing them in your garden.
- Carrot Coins: Pre-sliced carrot rounds are a quick option since they require no prep.
- Rainbow Carrots: A tad sweeter than regular carrots and visually appealing.
- Baby Carrots: Convenient because they only need to be sliced in half or not at all.
- Water: Essential in steaming. A splash or 3 tablespoons should suffice.
- Butter: For a rich flavor. (I mean, butter makes everything better.)
- Salt: To taste.
- Brown Sugar: If you want a glazed finish, consider honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar.
How to Steam Carrots in the Microwave
1. Clean the carrots.
Wash them and peel them before you begin. Cut off and discard the tops and ends.
Slice whole carrots into 1/4-inch rounds. No need to slice baby carrots.
2. Place the carrots in a microwave-safe dish.
Lay the carrots in a single layer on a microwave-safe dish. It should have a lip around the edge.
It’s alright if they overlap somewhat, but they need space to cook evenly.
3. Flavor the carrots. (Optional)
Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the carrots.
4. Pour water into the dish.
Pour a bit of water into the dish, about 1 inch deep. Cover the dish with a microwave-safe lid or plate.
You can also use plastic wrap, but leave a vent for the steam to escape.
5. Microwave the carrots.
Steam the carrots in the microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the carrots over.
Put the lid back on and microwave for another 2-4 minutes or until tender.
6. Season the carrots.
Transfer steamed carrots to a bowl. Coat with olive oil or butter and salt.
7. Let cool, serve, and enjoy.
Let the carrots sit for a minute before serving. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Microwave Carrots
- Don’t cook carrots with other vegetables. Veggies with shorter cooking times will turn mushy.
- Don’t add too much water. Add enough to cover the bottom of the dish, but don’t go overboard. We’re steaming, not boiling.
- Use oven mitts. Use caution when removing the carrots from the microwave to avoid steam burns.
There are countless ways to jazz up your microwaved steamed carrots.
Here are some variations for you to try:
- Sweet carrots: Combine brown sugar or maple syrup with butter and drizzle over the carrots.
- Fruity carrots: Instead of water, try using fruit juice.
- Herbed carrots: Minced herbs like tarragon, thyme, mint, and chives add a fresh spin.
- Pair them with butter and spices such as garlic, cumin, or paprika.
- Zesty carrots: Add a splash of citrus to brighten up the dish. Mix with butter and salt.
- Combo: Flavor the carrots with honey, butter, and thyme.
How Long to Microwave Carrots?
This varies depending on your microwave’s power level and how tender you like carrots.
But, usually, it will take 6-8 minutes until they get nice and tender.
- Start at 4 minutes on high, and then flip the carrots over.
- Then, steam them some more for another 2 to 4 minutes.
Let them sit for about a minute and test for doneness.
If the carrots are tough, microwave them in 1-minute intervals until you achieve your desired tenderness.
How to Store Steamed Carrots
Allow the carrots to cool before storing. Store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?