This Duncan Hines Pineapple Upside Down Cake is incredibly moist and buttery. It has a fine-looking pineapple and cherry topping glazed with scrumptious caramelized brown sugar. And boy, is it a piece of cake to make!
Whoever said you need to be a kitchen expert to make a stunning cake has never heard of this recipe. With this recipe, you can easily bake this classic favorite and fool your family into thinking you’re a baking pro!
You need not spend a lot to make this ridiculously stunning cake. Here’s what you need:
- Cooking Spray – It’s super important to grease your pan! Otherwise, you won’t be able to get the cake out of the pan, and no one will get to see its beauty. I use PAM Original No-Stick Cooking Spray, but you can use whatever you prefer.
- Butter (1 stick) – You’ll need this for the pineapple-cherry topping. You need to melt the butter for this recipe, so slice the butter into small chunks and give it a spin in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Be sure to use a microwave-safe container!
- Brown sugar (1 cup, firmly packed) – For that beautiful caramel glaze on top of your pineapples and cherries.
- Pineapple slices or rings (1 20 oz can) – If you’ve got fresh pineapples, you can use that too.
- Maraschino cherries (12) – Cherries and pineapple go well together because of their contrasting flavors. Plus, the color combo of red and yellow is just gorgeous!
- Duncan Hines Signature Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix (1 15.25 oz package) – After all, the recipe is named after the cake mix.
- Water (1 cup) – Because you need some liquid to thin out the cake mix.
- Vegetable oil (⅓ cup) – To give your cake moisture
- Eggs (3, large) – To bind the cake and to help it rise, too.
- Reddi-Wip Original Dairy Whipped Topping – To top the cake. You may use homemade whipped cream as well.
How to Make Duncan Hines Pineapple Upside Down Cake
It only takes a little over an hour and six easy steps to make this moist and luscious Duncan Hines Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Here’s how:
No-Stick Cooking Spray
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices
12 maraschino cherries
1 pkg (15.25 oz) Duncan Hines® Signature Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides of a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour melted butter into the pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange the pineapple slices and cherries on top of the brown sugar.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix with water, oil and eggs. Using an electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Then pour the mixture into the pan (on top of the pineapples and cherries).
3. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife on around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake and flip it over onto a serving platter. Pour the remaining juices in the pan all over the cake.
5. Top the cake with whipped cream. Serve warm (or cool).
Tips & Tricks
Afraid you’ll mess up flipping the cake? Here’s a fool-proof way to transfer your cake from the pan to the platter: let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife. Place the platter over the pan, with the surface facing the cake.
With oven mitts on, place one hand at the bottom of the pan and your other hand on top of the platter. Quickly flip the cake over. Place the platter on a surface and lift the pan, revealing your beautiful upside-down cake.
Instead of water, you can also use the pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple) to give your cake an even more pineapple flavor!
Or, you could also use milk instead. Any milk will do, but I like using whole milk as it helps make the cake extra moist.
Drain the pineapples and maraschino cherries well before using them. You don’t want your toppings to be too wet, because it will also cause the cake to be excessively moist.
Did you like the recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!