This creamy broccoli salad is my favorite dish to make when I’m way too tired from work but have to feed the family a healthy dinner.
If you have young kids at home, chances are you know how difficult it is to incorporate veggies into their diet.
But no matter how much of a challenge it is, nobody wants to let their kids live on processed food and sweets.
Fortunately, this creamy broccoli salad is a veggie dish so fresh, colorful, and yummy, even kids can’t say no to it.
Try it for tonight’s dinner and see how fast it will disappear from the table!
Broccoli: The Super Food
Apart from being tasty, this salad is also super healthy, thanks to its primary ingredient. Did you know that a cup of broccoli only has 30 calories?
It’s a fantastic source of fiber and is brimming with vitamins and minerals.
It has so many nutritious properties, it’s no wonder it can reduce the risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
This fantastic recipe makes six servings perfect for an intimate dinner with the family. And it’s easy to make, too! Here’s how:
- Fry some bacon strips over medium-high heat until brown. Chop into small bits, eat a few pieces, and set the rest aside.
- Chop the broccoli such that only the florets remain. Chop the florets further into bite-size. You can also use pre-chopped broccoli, although this costs more.
- Toss broccoli, bacon, nuts, raisins, and onions in a bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine mayo, sugar, and vinegar.
- Pour it over the broccoli salad and toss.
- Either refrigerate or serve right away!
Note: You can also add carrots for more crunch and cheese for a richer flavor.
Tips & Tricks
- While some people prefer to blanch the broccoli for this recipe, it’s not required at all. I serve this broccoli salad unblanched, and my family loves it. But if you feel the need to cook it, go ahead. Blanch your broccoli for about a minute in a pot of salted boiling water. Drain right away and rinse in cold water to prevent over-cooking. Pat dry before using it.
- This recipe is flexible when it comes to cheese, but I suggest you get one with thick shreds, such as sharp or extra sharp cheddar. You can also just shred your own cheese or slice it into small cubes.
- I know I said you can serve broccoli salad right away, but it tastes so much better if you refrigerate it for a while. Let it sit for a few hours (or even a few days) to let the broccoli soak up all the flavors.
- While broccoli in itself is nutritious, the dressing in the salad is on the unhealthy side. If you want to make the dish a little lighter, you can use olive oil mayo for the dressing. You can go easy on the cheese and sugar, too.
- If you’re not a fan of the strong flavor of raw onion, you can temper it by soaking it in ice water for 10 minutes.
- While you can serve broccoli salad as the main dish, it also works as a side dish. It is best served with burgers, sandwiches, and grilled chicken.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?