The next time you’re craving banana bread, try this insanely good cream cheese banana bread recipe.
It’s a fun, indulgent twist that’ll leave you hooked.
Ditch your traditional banana bread recipe and check out this rich and creamy cheesecake-filled quick loaf.
Yes, you read that right!
This banana bread is just as sweet and fruity as any other. But it’s also got a thick layer of sweetened cream cheese in the middle.
Are you drooling too?
Easy to make, ridiculously tasty, and ready in a flash, this isn’t one to miss.
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Bread Recipe
What do you get when you mix banana bread with rich, tangy cream cheese?
Seriously, this cream cheese banana bread is one of life’s easiest and most delicious treats.
It takes an already hugely popular dessert and amps it up to eleven. Because cheesecake makes everything better, right?
It’s a simple concept – bake sweetened cream cheese in the middle of the batter – but it yields something extra special.
Ready to get started? Me too!
This recipe looks like most banana bread recipes. The only difference is the filling, and that needs pantry staples!
In fact, the only “extra” thing you need is cream cheese.
- Butter – for moisture and richness. Feel free to use salted butter if you like, just be sure it’s melted and cooled.
- Brown & White Sugar – white for sweetness and a crisp (ish) edge and brown for a nice molasses flavor. There’s also a little white sugar in the filling.
- Eggs – they go in the batter to help the bread rise, and into the filling so it sets. Make sure they’re at room temp before you begin.
- Sour Cream – this brings richness and moisture to the loaf. Swap it out for Greek yogurt if that’s all you have.
- Bananas – of course! Make sure they’re brown-black and super fragrant.
- All-Purpose Flour – again, this goes in the banana batter and the filling. I use all-purpose because it’s cheaper and readily available.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt – to help the bread rise and balance the flavors.
- Cream Cheese – you can’t have a cheesecake filling without it! Use full-fat, room temp cream cheese for the best results.
How to Make Cream Cheese Banana Bread
To make this upgraded banana bread, all you do is add a layer of sweetened cream cheese to the middle.
You’ll find detailed instructions at the bottom. But here are the main points:
1. Preheat the oven and prep the loaf pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°C), the lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
I usually add parchment, too, since the sugar in the filling can stick.
2. Make the banana bread batter.
Start by blending the melted butter with the white and brown sugar. Use a regular whisk and beat until it looks uniform.
Then, beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the sour cream, mashed bananas, and vanilla.
Whisk until smooth, and you no longer see streaks of egg white.
Finally, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a spatula and gently stir until smooth.
3. Make the cream cheese filling.
In a separate bowl, whisk the cream cheese by hand until smooth.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the sugar and flour, then whisk again until smooth.
Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and whisk one last time until smooth.
4. Fill the loaf pan and bake.
Pour half of the banana bread batter into the greased loaf pan and gently spread it out with a spatula until flat.
Spoon the cream cheese filling into the middle and carefully spread it over the batter.
This doesn’t have to be perfect but take care not to mix it into the batter.
Add the rest of the batter on top, then place it in the oven for about 50 minutes,
5. Cool, serve, and enjoy!
Since this has a creamy filling, you need to let it cool completely. And it’s best if you can chill it slightly, too, before serving.
I usually leave it to cool on the counter for about an hour, then pop it in the fridge for an hour.
Tips for the Best Banana Bread
- Don’t overmix the batters. If you work them too hard, the bread will be dry, and the filling won’t have a smooth, velvety texture. That’s why it’s best to mix by hand.
- Add tasty toppings. Make it extra special with nuts, chocolate chips, banana slices, or toffee bits. Yum!
- Let it cool completely before cutting into it. I know I mentioned this before, but if you cut it while it’s warm, the filling might split from the bread.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then spin it in the oven. This should ensure even baking.
How to Store
Cream cheese banana bread is a delicious and unique recipe that combines the classic flavor of banana bread with the tangy creaminess of cream cheese.
The result is a moist, flavorful dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. But how do you store it?
Well, there are three main ways:
- Room temperature – Store it at room temperature for a couple of days. Just make sure to cover it with a towel or foil.
- Fridge – The best way to store it, though, is in the fridge. Wrap it with plastic, then keep it cool, and it should last 5-7 days.
- Freezer – Wrap the cold bread in plastic and foil, then freeze for up to three months.
More Banana Bread Recipes You’ll Love
Ina Garten’s Banana Bread
3-Ingredient Banana Bread
Brown Butter Banana Bread
Cake Mix Banana Bread
Jamaican Banana Bread
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?