This delicious Cosmopolitan cocktail is ideal for brunch or a fun night at home.
It’s even more perfect for a Sex in the City watch party!
There’s nothing fancier than sipping on a Cosmo. It’s pretty in pink and tastes just as good as it looks with its tart, fruity flavors.
It tastes like cranberry, lime, orange… all the good stuff.
The classic Cosmopolitan is a cocktail that will never go out of style. Which is more than you can say for some of Carrie’s late ‘90s fashion choices!
So, enough talk. Let’s check out this easy Cosmopolitan cocktail recipe.
What’s in a Cosmopolitan Cocktail?
Cosmos taste light, refreshing, and not-too-sweet. And they go down a little too easy.
Here’s a quick peek at the components of this classic cocktail.
- Ice- The best way to enjoy a Cosmo is lightly chilled. This is where the ice comes in.
- Vodka- Since this is a mixed drink, the vodka isn’t the most vital component. You can use plain vodka or experiment with flavored vodka (like Absolut Citron).
- Lime Juice- Fresh is always best! It adds the perfect kiss of tartness.
- Triple Sec/Cointreau- Carrie Bradshaw’s Cosmo used Cointreau, but you can also use Triple Sec. Triple sec is the more affordable option. However, it’s not as smooth and citrusy as Cointreau.
- Cranberry Juice- Adding a splash of cranberry juice gives the Cosmo its patented pink coloring. And also, the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Lime Wheel (Optional)- The lime wheel garnish is optional but adds fabulous flair.
How to Make a Cosmopolitan Cocktail
You won’t believe how quickly this cocktail comes together!
Start Sex and the City, and it’ll be ready by the end of the opening credits.
Here’s a quick breakdown of how easily this cocktail comes together.
1. Add ice. Fill a cocktail shaker to the top with ice.
2. Pour in the booze and mixers. Pour cranberry juice, lime juice, and vodka over the ice. Shake well for about 30 seconds or until the cocktail shaker is cold to the touch.
3. Strain. Pour the Cosmo into a martini glass through the strainer on the shaker.
4. Garnish. Add a lime wheel to the rim of the glass (optional), and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Check out these simple tricks for the perfect Carrie Bradshaw-approved Cosmopolitan.
- Chill your glass. The trick for the perfect Cosmo is to keep things nice and cold. A chilled glass keeps things cold without watering down your drink.
- Double strain. No one wants a watery Cosmo! Double straining ensures no ice chips or lime pulp are in the final cocktail.
- Use cranberry juice cocktail. Most times, pure fruit juice works best- but not for the Cosmopolitan! Cranberry juice cocktail has simple syrup added in, which makes your life easier. If using pure cranberry juice, you may need to add a splash of simple syrup.
- Make it a mocktail. You can make this cocktail family-friendly by substituting booze for orange juice. If you want to add a little extra flair, add sparkling water.
How to Serve a Cosmopolitan Cocktail
Here are a few ways to serve Cosmos at your event.
- Use a coupe or martini glass. This simple cocktail recipe works best in a shallow coupe or martini glass. Remember to pop your glasses in the freezer to chill!
- Get fancy with garnishes. A lime or lemon twist takes this cocktail over the top. It’s fancy and adds a hint of fresh citrus flavors.
- Always serve immediately. This isn’t the type of cocktail you can make in advance. It works best when it’s perfectly chilled, so don’t waste any time when it comes out of the cocktail shaker!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?